Sport and exercise medicine (SEM), is a relatively new branch of medicine that deals with physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and exercise.
Our sports medicine physicians are specialists in the treatment of illnesses and injuries arising in athletes and other physically active individuals. Our doctors have extensive education and experience in musculoskeletal medicine allowing them to treat and prevent injuries such as muscle, ligament, tendon and bone problems. Chronic illnesses that can affect physical performance, such as asthma, allergies and diabetes are also effectively treated by our doctors.
The majority of a SEM physicians' time is spent treating musculoskeletal injuries, however other conditions include sports cardiology issues, unexplained underperformance, exercise-induced asthma, screening for cardiac abnormalities and diabetes in sports. In addition team physicians working in elite sports often play a role in performance medicine, whereby an athletes' physiology is monitored, and aberrations corrected, in order to achieve peak physical performance.
- Management of musculoskeletal injuries including tendinopathies
- Management of medical conditions in athletes
- Sports traumatology including the management of concussion
- Exercise is Medicine: exercise prescription for the treatment and prevention of diseases of lifestyle
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), cortisone and other injection therapies
- Extra Corporeal Shockwave Treatment (ESWT)
- Inspiratory muscle training (PowerBreathe)
- Executive medicals